Tuesday, May 22, 2012

the Right side of the bed

Ya know that expression about getting up on "the wrong side of the bed"?
Well, sometimes it sure feels good to get up on the right.

Yesterday was a little bit of a rough spot. I had to miss several hours of work to go to the chiropractor and meet with an insurance agent, and have been battling some soreness. But, the day ended much better.

I came home to these:


Which were accompanied by a clean living room, and fully vacuumed house. I just cry when these things happen, because it's such an unexpected and lovely display of affection.
With the house feeling much better (it's been in a down spiral throughout the two weeks of finals, and is finally at a point where we can have the time to clean it!), we went up to the fitness center and did our evening work-out (yeah, that's right!) and began to get ready for dinner.
The hubby had ran some errands for me earlier that day (thus the surprise flowers), and he had picked up some mangoes! Sweet boy, he knows they're my favorite.
With chicken on the menu, I simply put 2 and 2 together, to equal Mango Chicken.
Dusty was the genius that found the recipe that included orange juice.

Ladies and gents, meet the melt-in-your-mouth, delicious, one-of-a-kind, taste-of-heaven dinner.


We juiced about 10 oz. of fresh oranges from our juicer (we love this thing), and simply poured it into our square pan. We added two defrosted chicken breasts, sprinkled with chili powder and cilantro and surrounded by the cubed mangoes. Dios mio.

It transported me back to Mexico, when a strappy young fellow on the beach came up with a Mango cart, and proceeded to serve it up with lime and chili powder, right there on the sand. It was bliss.

Back to dinner...we baked the dish at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes or so, until the chicken was cooked all the way through. And let me tell you guys. Melt. In. Your. Mouth. The mangoes, being boiled in the fresh orange juice, become impossibly soft and juicy. Served over rice, this dish is a fast favorite, and completely unique. Not to mention extremely healthy!

We sprinkled some lime juice on top, served it over rice, and enjoyed every last bite.


So needless to say, the evening was delightful after that. Dusty had some reading to do, I had some River Monsters to watch, and we had a very nice time.

Before bed, I prepared our breakfast for the next day. Thanks to another revolutionary recipe I found, which has changed our lives forever. It has actually allowed us to eat breakfast. We never eat breakfast!

Enter, the before-bed oatmeal.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Oats
1 Fat-Free Yogurt Cup
1-2 Tbs of Milk
Fresh Fruit (as desired)
Optional: honey, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

These little guys are perfect for the kind of people that have a difficult time getting up in the morning, and would rather sleep than spend time on breakfast. (ME).
You simply mix up all the ingredients, cover, put in the fridge, and overnight it becomes a creamy, delicious and cold oatmeal treat.

And let's not underestimate the positive power of eating from a mini honey-pot every morning :)


Blackberry yogurt,
with fresh raspberries and honey drizzled on top.
Peach yogurt, with fresh strawberries
and honey, cinnamon and nutmeg.





















This morning, I couldn't help but wake up on the right side. :)

Sometimes it's the little things in life that bring about that "right side". Maybe it's a clean house. Maybe it's surprise flowers! Maybe it's just waking up and knowing exactly what you want to wear, and going through your day in a perfect outfit.


















Whatever it is, let your day be right.

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in  you.
Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8.

Good day.
In love,
Cait

3 comments:

  1. yummmmmy all the way around! i've seen the oatmeal thing on pinterest - do you heat it up in the morning or eat it cold??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we've just been eating it cold! it's quick and easy, but would be amazing hot as well, i'm sure! i eat it cold with my coffee :)

      Delete
  2. bug,
    this is the best thing i have ever read. you simply delight me with your diction!
    all my love,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete