Tuesday, September 18, 2012

it's raining

I know many of you west-coasters have been suffering from heat and exhaustion and full-out Fall envy.
Well, I don't mean to rub it in your face.

But I'm going to rub it in your face.

It's 70 degrees today, and very rainy. There's a light breeze and everyone is singing, skipping and splashing one another in a friendly fashion. Leaves are beginning to turn and everyone has a latte in their hand.
Bath and Body Works is sold out of all their Fall scented candles because everyone here is that festive.
Tonight, everyone will be cuddled up, watching their favorite movies and baking pies.

I may be exaggerating a little bit, but truly, it's a wonderful time.

But, so you won't hate me too much, things aren't perfect here.
For one, I realized everyone can see my underwear through my dress today. And even worse than that, I don't think this is the first time this has happened to me this year.
Secondly, Lynchburg drivers are awful in the rain. So there's that.

Going back to the subject of favorite movies, though...
Everyone has a favorite movie. Even if you're one of those, a person who never watches a movie twice, there has to be one movie that sticks out in your mind as having truly impacted you.
For a long time, I couldn't choose my favorite movie. I wasn't sure what qualified as a favorite film, and how I could possibly narrow it down.
But then I realized...my favorite movies aren't the most accomplished, or most witty, or most expensively-made ones.
For me, my favorite movies are the ones that I can wear out. The ones I can watch 57 times in a row in one week, and still crave it the next day.

The first movies I remember being like this with are Jurassic Park and The Matrix.
(I was a tom boy, I had three brothers...don't be too weirded out.)
Truthfully, I had every single scene memorized in The Matrix. I would mouth the words along with the characters, it was a problem.

I would get super intense at the end, whispering along with Trinity.
It's really a miracle I ever found someone to marry me.

[SPOILER ALERT]: Don't watch this if you've never seen the movie, dude.


Nowadays, my go-to movies are a little more acceptable for a sappy woman.
My top 5 are as follows...

1. Ever After
2. Mona Lisa Smile
3. Pride and Prejudice
4. The Holiday
5. Something Borrowed (just added this one this year)

This list occasionally shifts around, and Something Borrowed is a very new addition. I think I like it because I'm so far removed from the subject content, and it's both shocking and sad and totally wrong all at the same time. But there's true friendship somewhere in there, as well as love and confusion and totally misconstrued notions of happiness. I always get choked up at the end, Kate Hudson, darling, well done.

Soundtracks have about 76% to do with these choices. I crave the chills that all of these movie soundtracks produce. They're all brilliantly scored.

I really can't quite explain my bond with Ever After, though. My numero uno.
I tear up every single time the main title begins. It's one of the most powerful moments.


I remember seeing this movie in theaters in the 90's, absolutely loving it. I was ten years old. For some reason, it has become the perfect movie to me. I've lost count of how many times I've watched it. I remember swearing that I'd only marry a man who could kiss me like Dougray Scott kisses Drew Barrymore.
One time, I watched it, the credits began to roll, and I just said, "Again!"
And watched it 3 times in a row.
Most people that know me well know that this is my absolute favorite movie of all time.

I took a Facebook poll to see if anyone else was like me.
It seems like the theme of movie choices stayed about the same as mine :)
These were the most popular movie choices:

1. Tami, Heidi, Charissa: Pride and Prejudice (new, or the old BBC version)
2. Charissa, Philip, Amber: The Princess Bride
3. Miriam, Charissa, Me: Ever After
4. Melodee, Ashley: Penelope (which I've never seen!)
5. Sarah: Anne of Green Gables (which had the most likes)

I really, really loved hearing everyone's favorite movies. It's such a personal fact to know about someone. I immediately picture them totally vegged out on the couch, enjoying every second of the best movie in their own little world.
Usually, when I'm having an Ever After marathon, I'm not looking my best. It's usually when I'm lonely, sad, sick, or just feeling really sappy. Which means I'm shame-eating bad-for-me foods and wearing the same clothes from yesterday.
And I always watch it alone, because no one loves it like I do. Plus I look disgusting.
It's a very intimate, personal experience.

I'm looking forward to going home tonight and indulging in my comfiest pajamas.
I think we'll raise the blinds a little, so we can see and hear the rain outside.
Although it's not an Ever After night, since the SYTYCD finale is on tonight....(WOOT!)

Man, I wish work didn't have to get in the way of my plans. I'd be home right now if not for the whole money-making need.

Oh well.

In love,
Cait


3 comments:

  1. i am so jealous of your weather!! so cal really needs to get on board! i think my movies are ten things i hate about you and the holiday :)

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the weather will come around!
      "10 things i hate about you" is SO on my Christmas list...

      Delete
  2. I can't believe that you've never seen Penelope....it's such a wonderful and whimsical little movie...I absolutely love Christina Ricci in it...you have to watch it ASAP and let us know it you love it!

    ReplyDelete